Search This Blog

Thursday, June 27, 2013

Lentil and Brown Rice Casserole

Brown Rice and Lentil Casserole. Photo by Tea Jenny Brown rice is high in fiber and anti-oxidants, and it promotes weight loss (which is always good). Lentils lower cholesterol and reduce your chances of heart problems. This recipe is one of my favorite healthy dinners and I have made it often since my sister found it recently in The Tightwad Gazette.The recipe is pretty basic and you can change it in so many ways to turn it into something completely different like Mexican (my moms favorite), Chinese, or Italian.


The Recipe:
3 cups of broth (chicken, beef, or vegetable)
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup brown rice
3/4 cup lentils
1teaspoon Italian seasoning*
1 teaspoon garlic powder (or garlic salt)
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Stir everything together except the cheese in a 13x9 casserole dish and cover tightly with foil. Bake in a 300 degree oven for 1 hr. and 10 minutes. Then remove the foil, top with cheese and bake an additional 20 minutes.
*if you don't have Italian seasoning: Combine equal parts of basil, oregano, thyme, rosemary, marjoram, and garlic and store in a small glass jar.

My adjustments: I top it with cubed  potato and then make the potatoes look pretty with rosemary garlic seasoning. I never acually used the cheese because I have never had cheese and made casserole at the same time....hmmm..... I'll have to try it one day though. I also add a can of whatever beans i have on hand like black eyed peas, black beans, pinto beans, or kidney beans

 To make it Mexican add one can of rotel, 1/2 cup of salsa, 1/4 cup or 1 packet taco seasoning, 1 can pinto beans , and a can of corn. when you remove the foil add crunched tortilla chips and Mexican cheese.

To make it chineese add 1/4 cup soy sauce, brocoli, chicken, celery,mushrooms,napa cabbage, garlic.......basically all your favorite stir fry ingredients and add more broth if you think you need to. 


Let's Chat:

What;s your favorite frugal meal???

♥I love to hear from you guys, you rock!!!♥


No comments:

Post a Comment