Crusty Bread Makes 2 round loaves
- 1 1/2 tablespoons instant yeast
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 6 1/2 cups unbleached, all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting dough
- In a large bowl mix yeast and salt into 3 cups lukewarm water (about 100 degrees). Stir in flour, mixing until there are no dry patches. Dough will be sticky and stretchable. Cover lightly with a kitchen towel (don't seal the bowl airtight.) Let the dough rise at room temperature 2-5 hours.
- Bake or refrigerate, covered in an airtight container, for as long as two weeks. When ready to bake, cut off a grapefruit-size piece with serrated knife (I have only ever made two loaves out of the batch of dough so I just divide the dough in half to form my first loaf). Turn the dough in your hands to lightly stretch the surface, creating a rounded top and a lumpy bottom. Put the dough on a piece of parchment paper (I use a silpat) set on a pizza peel or a rimmed baking sheet turned upside down. Let the dough rest for 40 minutes for room temperature dough; if you have used the dough out of the refrigerator, let it rest for 1 1/2 hours. Repeat with remaining dough or refrigerate it.
- Place a broiler pan on the bottom rack of the oven. Place a baking stone on the middle rack and preheat oven to 450 degrees. Heat the stone at that temperature for 20 minutes before baking.
- After the dough has rested and is ready to bake, dust the dough lightly with flour, slash the top with serrated or very sharp knife three times. Slide the dough (with the parchment paper) onto the baking stone. Pour one cup of hot water into the broiler pan (don't use glass....yes....I tried it and broke my casserole dish....) and shut the oven quickly to trap the steam. Bake the bread until well browned, about 24-28 minutes. Cool completely.
- If you don't have a baking stone, heat a cast iron skillet for 10 minutes and place the parchment paper into the cast iron skillet and bake as you would the baking stone. or you could try turning a rimmed baking sheet upside down and heating it in the 450 degree oven for 10 minutes prior to baking. When ready to bake, slide the parchment paper with the dough on it directly onto the overturned baking sheet and bake according to the recipe. You can also stretch the rounded dough into an oval and place in a greased loaf pan. Let it rise for 40 minutes if fresh (add an extra hour if the dough has been refrigerated). Bake in the loaf pan in the 450 degree oven, watching the time carefully - check after 20-22 minutes.