Search This Blog

Friday, October 18, 2013

Pumpkin Pie Seeds

 Pumpkins went on sale, so you went crazy and bought four, huh? Typical. Guess what. YOUR NOT ALONE! I did the exact same thing. The only thing I could think to do was PUMPKIN PIE, DUH!!!! But, I had a boatload of seeds leftover. What to do, what to do..... my family doesn't really like pumpkin seeds, and we put the pies in the freezer for thanksgiving and Christmas, so we wont be tasting it for a while.....HEY WOULDN'T IT BE NEAT IF I MADE THE SEEDS TASTE LIKE PUMPKIN PIE?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!  And the obvious answer is YES! So I combined all the spices and sweetness with the pumpkiny flavored seeds and BAM! One of the best things I have ever tasted....in my life....(tear, tear)......(sniffle, sniffle).





Pumpkin Pie Seeds

Ingredients:
1 cup raw cleaned pumpkin seeds (preferably from a sugar pumpkin)
 4 cups water
4 tsp. salt
1 Tbs. salted butter
1 Tbs. sugar
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ground ginger
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp. ground cloves
1/4 tsp ground cardamon
1 Tbs. white sugar, or to taste


Directions:

Place pumpkin seeds, water, and salt in a saucepan, bring to a boil, and reduce heat to medium; boil seeds for 10 minutes. Drain seeds but do not rinse. Pat seeds dry with paper towels and spread out onto a work surface or a baking sheet for 30 minutes to dry.

 Preheat oven to 250 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with foil. (I use a silpat)

 Melt butter in a large microwave-safe bowl until melted, about 1 minute. Toss seeds in the melted butter and mix in 1 tablespoon sugar, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, cloves, and cardamom; toss again to coat seeds thoroughly with spices. Spread seeds out onto the prepared baking sheet in a single layer.

 Bake in the preheated oven until toasted and crunchy, 45 minutes to 1 hour. Stir several times during baking. Sprinkle toasted seeds with 1 tablespoon sugar or as desired; cool before serving.


1 comment:

  1. Roasted pumpkin seeds are one of my favourite things about Halloween, besides scary movies, ghost walks, and amazing costumes. Being that it's only a few days before halloween it's about time I made some. wheatgrass seeds

    ReplyDelete